• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Ampakines - nootropics?

Scire

Bluelighter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampakine
Wikipedia said:
Ampakines are a new class of compounds known to enhance attention span and alertness, and facilitate learning and memory. The ampakines take their name from the glutamatergic AMPA receptor with which they strongly interact. The AMPA receptor, in turn, gets its name from AMPA, which selectively binds to it.

Ampakines have been investigated by DARPA for potential use in increasing military effectiveness.

I only just found out about these last night. Anybody know anything about them? Tried any? Want to try any?

According to wikipedia the racetams have a weak AMPA activation; possibly one of the reasons they are affective as nootripics. Ampakines seem to be fairly new, so not many of them about but ones to keep an eye out for, maybe.

Much of the information in that Wiki article is outdated. Any good AMPAkines are at least 5 years away. The ones that have passed phase II trials (small, examining safety, tolerability and efficacy) and are worth mentioning are Faramptor and ORG-26576, but the company that was developing them was acquired by a much larger company, and now these are "legacy" projects; they'll go into phase III (huge, multinational trials that determine FDA approval or lack thereof) if and when they're fiscally viable. It's touchy with the AMPAkines because many of the direct agonists are neurotoxins and many of the positive allosteric modulators have proven worthless.

There are others you may wanna keep an eye on. Cortex Pharm's 7XX and 17XX series. GSK 729327. Eli Lilly's biarylpropylsulfonamides (which I guess are weathering the recession or something). Any of these may be a decade away.

This article is much more thorough.

PEPA's interesting too.

Much of the information in that Wiki article is outdated. Any good AMPAkines are at least 5 years away. The ones that have passed phase II trials (small, examining safety, tolerability and efficacy) and are worth mentioning are Faramptor and ORG-26576, but the company that was developing them was acquired by a much larger company, and now these are "legacy" projects; they'll go into phase III (huge, multinational trials that determine FDA approval or lack thereof) if and when they're fiscally viable. It's touchy with the AMPAkines because many of the direct agonists are neurotoxins and many of the positive allosteric modulators have proven worthless.

There are others you may wanna keep an eye on. Cortex Pharm's 7XX and 17XX series. GSK 729327. Eli Lilly's biarylpropylsulfonamides (which I guess are weathering the recession or something). Any of these may be a decade away.

This article is much more thorough.

PEPA's interesting too.
Ya even I agree with you. I was doing my own research on AMPAkines and most of the information were not to the date. FDA have approved many newer and much effective Nootropics like Modalert, Provigil, etc.
You can check this blog to know more.

Ya even I agree with you. I was doing my own research on AMPAkines and most of the information were not to the date. FDA have approved many newer and much effective Nootropics like Modalert, Provigil, etc.
You can check this blog to know more.

Modafinil is a garbage drug. Feels like overdosed caffeine, you get all jittery and then you crash. The only real "nootropic" is low dose amphetamine or methylphenidate. I would bet that 20mg of Ritalin would drastically improve my scores on any SAT type tests, IQ tests. I fondly remember studying on Ritalin in my college days.

But that may be only me. Others report that modafinil works great for them whereas amphetamine makes them jittery and anxious. Which I totally don't get as amphetamines make me energetic, calm and quite social. Not jittery at all at sensible dosages. Maybe I suffer from mild ADHD.